This is a Accountant job description sample (template) that includes roles and responsibilities, duties, skills and proficiency requirements, education and experience requirements, and salary information of an Accountant. Feel free to use this Accountant job description to create your next job application.
Every company, be it a small start-up or a multi-billion-dollar organization, it would always require an accountant. An accountant is essential to all companies to gather fiscal information, to review and analyze the same and to prepare reports based on it. Accountants form a key component of any company’s success in any niche.
In fact, one can even claim that they form an integral part of the organization itself. While accountants, depending on their role within an organization are often asked to handle multiple roles, and at times, a multi task as well with the sole purpose of examining financial data and processing the same, for review, analysis, and report.
In fact, accounting is a varied field and one can specialize in the same, depending on their interest. For example, a forensic accountant is often one often investigates various scams and provides expert testimony on the same to the courts. As a chartered accountant, you would often be tasked with auditing a company or organization and providing them with key valuable information on how to improve their performance.
There are various types of accountants, depending on their area of specialization. Moreover, accountants can help save valuable time and money by streamlining various business processes and even ensure that all the taxes are filed on time.
An accountant is also known as –
An accountant is also known as a chartered accountant, an actuary, a forensic accountant and more where the title itself indicates their area of specialization and the roles that they are expected to perform. In general, accountants are the ones who review all the assets and liabilities of a company/organization and advise them on the same.
They are often tasked with compiling accurate financial information and to review, analyze it and report on the same to the concerned company. These reports are essential as they often enable the company to determine their current fiscal health. And, an accountant may even advise the company on various corrective measures to take, to save the company.
Furthermore, an accountant would have to handle multiple roles and responsibilities within an organization which can be ranging from handling pay and getting the same distributed to all the employees, to ensure that relevant information is filed correctly with the requisite authorities.
In order to ensure that the company or organization is in line with current state, federal laws; an accountant may need to familiarize himself with the local laws and regulations as well.
Accountant Job Summary
We need a qualified candidate to fill in the position of an accountant at our organization. They would be responsible for monitoring all the accounts of the company, to assess its current liabilities and to review various risks.
Accountants would have to process all fiscal data, identify problem areas, and list the same out along with the report to the management. Accountants are essential for the health of any company or organization both in the short and long term.
Accountant Duties and Responsibilities
As indicated earlier, this can vary a lot depending on the company itself and their job description. In general, they are often tasked with various duties, some of which have been listed below –
- Ensure that all transactions are well documented
- Preparing asset, liability, and capital account
- Keep and maintain all the books in perfect order
- Summarize current financial situation by analyzing correctly current liabilities, preparing a profit and loss statement and indicating corrective actions that need to be taken.
- Audit key documents and verify each transaction
- Reconcile financial discrepancies as they arise, after checking out the causes for the same
- Make certain that all tax forms are correct and have been filed to the required authorities on time
- Attend various workshops, with the view of improving performance and contributes to team effort.
- Preparing payments.
- Preparing budget forecast
- Compute and prepare tax returns
- Report company financial health to the stakeholders
- Making financial reports that can help higher management in taking decisions.
- Ensuring the security of financial information and taking regular backups.
Accountant Education and Experience Requirements
An accountant is an important and essential position in any company. Naturally, the organization would want to ensure that they have the best candidates applying for the post and to choose the best one amongst them.
An accountant is expected to have the following qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in accounting
- Specialization in a certain field of accounting (not mandatory)
- Requisite work experience (2+ years)
Accountant Skills and Proficiency Requirements
As an accountant, you are required to possess the following skill set in order to be able to provide your company/organization with the help it requires.
- An interest in business or finance
- Mathematical and analytical ability
- A thorough and methodological approach to work
- Good IT skills
- Has the ability to work as part of a team and believes in teamwork
- Maintains total confidence
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
As an accountant, the candidate may be asked to handle various roles and we need someone who is enterprising enough to take on the various duties and responsibilities that comes with the post.
The average salary of an Account in the United States is $80,000. The salary is largely depends upon the size of the company, duties, responsibilities, and experience.of an accountant.
More Job Descriptions