This is a Cashier job description sample (template) that includes job summary, roles and responsibilities, duties, skills and proficiency requirements, education and experience requirements, and salary information of a Cashier. Feel free to use this Cashier job description to create your next job application.
As a Cashier, your primary role is to scan items, ensure that the quantities and prices are correct, receive payments from the customers, handing over the appropriate change and issue the receipts.
Cashiers are also responsible for counting the total of cash register drawer and keep track of all the credit and cash transactions at the end of each shift.
Cashiers assist customers by recommending the products, responding to the inquiries and processing refunds or exchanges.
May also be responsible for inspecting the materials and reporting the stock quantities. Overall, you’ll make sure that the transaction process runs smoothly and maximize customer satisfaction.
Cashiers work under a manager or supervisor and abide by his/her instructions.
Your knowledge of common practices in a particular field and friendly attitude plays a vital role in achieving customer satisfaction.
Cashier Job Summary
We are looking for a courteous Cashier who possesses excellent communication and customer service skills.
The Cashier has to manage the transactions with customers efficiently and accurately.
You will scan the selected items by customers and ensure that the quantities and prices are appropriate, collect payments, return the change, issue receipts, answer their inquiries and monitor all the transactions.
To be a successful Cashier, you must possess experience in the customer service field and you should have great accuracy and a strong work ethic.
You should also be willing to take weekend shifts and evening shifts occasionally.
You should be committed to excellent service and be attentive to the customer inquiries and needs.
The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and have a friendly attitude towards the customers.
Cashier Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the credit, cash and check transactions with customers.
- Ensure that the checkout area is always orderly and clean.
- Operate scales, scanners and cash registers in an efficient manner.
- Scan the selected items and ensure the accurate pricing.
- Issue refunds, receipts, tickets, and change.
- Bag the purchased items carefully.
- Keep track of the funds in the cash register and report any discrepancies to the supervisor or manager at the end of the shift.
- Honour the coupons and stamps.
- Attend customer inquiries ,resolve their complaints and provide information on policies.
- Gift-wrapping the packages.
- Guiding the customers and recommend the items with relevant information.
- Ensure that the cash drawer is accurate.
- Remember the product locations in the store to guide the customers and make recommendations.
- Ensure that refunds and exchanges go smooth and quick.
- Perform basic arithmetic functions and return the appropriate change.
- Deal pleasantly with customers to ensure satisfaction.
Cashier Education and Experience Requirements
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Previous work experience as a cashier or in customer service.
- Acquaintance with the usage of electronic devices like POS and cash registers.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Good math skills.
- Ability to handle cash and credit transactions responsibly and accurately.
- Good energy and positive attitude with excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to stand for longer durations, lift the goods and work together with team members in a busy and fast-paced environment.
- Good time management and communication skills.
- A courteous and friendly approach to attend customer inquiries and resolve complaints.
In the United States, the average salary of a Cashier is $25000 USD. On an average, a Cashier make $11.5 per hour.
Related to This
I have worked as a cashier for jewel foods, Walmart….I have been a server and cashier for many food chains ,also I have managed a breakfast room in a Holiday Inn and managed hotels.
I am coming out of retirement ( due to being bored).